Office: BRAE 08A-022E
Ed.D., CID, CCA
- Certified Irrigation Designer (CID) in Drip/Micro, Sprinkler, and Surface irrigation systems through the Irrigation Association (IA)
- Certified Irrigation Contractor through the IA
- Certified Agricultural Irrigation Specialist through the IA
- Certified Crop Advisor (CCA) through the American Society of Agronomy (ASA)
- Member, ASABE, IA, USCID
- Member, IA certification board
- Partner, EPA WaterSense Program
- Recipient, 2018 Irrigation Foundation Excellence in Education Award
- B.S., Agricultural Systems Management with a Minor in Agribusiness, emphasis in Mechanical Systems, Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo, CA
- M .S., Industrial and Technical Studies, emphasis in Irrigation, Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo, CA
- Ed.D., Educational Leadership/Educational Technology, University of Phoenix
Teaches the Following University Classes:
- BRAE 128 – Careers in BioResource and Agricultural Engineering
- BRAE 151 – CAD for Agricultural Engineering
- BRAE 337 – Landscape Irrigation
- BRAE 340 – Irrigation Water Management
- BRAE 440 – On-Farm Irrigation Systems
Teaches the Following Short Courses:
- Ag Irrigation System Evaluation
- Designer/Manager School of Irrigation
- Landscape Water Management
Background and Experience:
- Landscape irrigation education and training
- ITRC flap gate specialist
- Center pivot specialist
- Project Manager for a large-scale, two-year study testing the effects of a kaolin clay spray on pistachio trees by monitoring water consumption, yield, quality, salinity, and pest damage. Several tools were used to collect the data:
- Soil-based sensors
- Plant-based sensors
- Surface Energy Balance Algorithm for Land (SEBAL)
- Normalized Difference Vegetation Index (NDVI)
- High resolution aerial photos and Landsat
- Project Manager and Consultant for approximately 3,200 acres of forage crops irrigated with effluent from wastewater treatment plants, including:
- Irrigation scheduling for 35 center pivots
- Nitrogen and water balances
- Center pivot DU testing and modification
- Vadose zone monitoring
- Plant tissue sampling and analysis
- Soil sampling and analysis
- Project Manager for the design, construction, and installation of ITRC flap gates
- Program support
- 3-D design drawings
- Technical assistance
- Comprehensive irrigation evaluations for drip and microspray systems
- Evaluation of DU for drip and microspray systems
- Surfactant test trials through drip irrigation
- District modernization and technical assistance
- Benchmarking of flexibility and needs for districts
- GPS surveying and cost estimating for conveyance systems
- Pump station vibration analysis with the installation of VFDs
- Canal automation and improvement plans
- Flow modeling using numerical methods software
Examples of Papers and Publications by Franklin Gaudi:
- Gaudi, F. 2001. Evaluation and Modification of a Float Valve for the Delano-Earlimart Irrigation District. Irrigation Training & Research Center, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, California.
- Burt, C.M., D. Howes, and F. Gaudi. 2004. Proposed Control for the Gila Gravity Main Canal (GGMC) "Y" at the Entrance to the Wellton-Mohawk Canal. Irrigation Training & Research Center, California Polytechnic State University, California.
- Burt, C.M. and F. Gaudi. 2004. Specifications of Pivots for Section 9. Irrigation Training & Research Center, California Polytechnic State University, California.
- Burt, C.M., B. Freeman, and F. Gaudi. 2004. Preliminary Feasibility Analysis for the Tulelake Sump Recirculation in the J-1 Canal Project. Irrigation Training & Research Center, California Polytechnic State University, California.
- Burt, C.M. and F. Gaudi. 2005. Modernization Opportunities in Fresno Irrigation District. Irrigation Training & Research Center, California Polytechnic State University, California.
- Gaudi, F., D. Howes, and D. Ton. 2007. Center Pivot Design for Effluent Irrigation of Agricultural Forage Crops. Proceedings of the Annual Technical Conference of The Irrigation Association. Dec. 9-11. San Diego, CA.
- Howes, D., F. Gaudi, and D. Ton. 2007. Effluent Nitrogen Management for Agricultural Re-Use Applications. Proceedings of the Annual Technical Conference of The Irrigation Association. Dec. 9-11. San Diego, CA.
- Burt, C.M., X. Piao, F. Gaudi, B. Busch, and N.F.N. Taufik. 2008. Electric Motor Efficiency under Variable Frequencies and Loads. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, 134(2).
- Styles, S.W., C.M. Burt, F. Gaudi, and S. Orvis. 2008. Accuracy of Global Microirrigation Distribution Uniformity Estimates. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, 134(3).
- Howes, D.J., L. Hoffmann, and F. Gaudi. 2012. Spatial Variability in Evapotranspiration Related to Irrigation System Distribution Uniformity. Presented at 2USCID Conference on Managing Irrigation Systems in Today's Environment, Reno, Nevada, November 13-16, 2012. 13 pp.
- Howes, D.J., L.J. Hoffmann, and F. Gaudi. 2012. Comparison of Field Level and Regional Actual ETc Values Developed from Remote Sensing and Dual Crop Coefficient Procedure. Presented at 2012 Irrigation Show, Orlando, Florida, November 4-5, 2012. 13 pp.
- Howes, D.J., S. Ellenson, L.J. Hoffmann, and F. Gaudi. 2015. Center Pivot Sprinkler Distribution Uniformity Impacts on the Spatial Variability of Evapotranspiration. ASCE Journal of Drainage and Irrigation Engineering, Dec. 29, 2014. 10 pp.