Classes > ID School of Irrigation
Irrigation District School of Irrigation
All fees include class materials and software.
Priority registration is given to districts in the Mid-Pacific Region
Sponsored by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation - Mid-Pacific Region.
Flow Measurement & Canal Operation February 2-4, 2022
$90 (US) or $450 (international)
This three-day course is a series of training and educational opportunities for staff, field operators, engineers, and board members of agricultural irrigation/water districts. The classes held in San Luis Obispo utilize the excellent indoor and outdoor facilities at ITRC. Annual flow measurement and canal operations training is also offered for operators in the Chico area in cooperation with CSU Chico.
The course includes the following topics:
- Flow Measurement - General and Pipelines: Principles of flow measurement for open and closed systems; common measurement devices - propeller, velocity head, venturi, metergate; how to take accurate readings; what to watch out for.
- Flow Measurement - Canals: Equations for canals; weirs and flumes; corrections for common problems; current metering.
- Canal Operations: The service concept, including farmer constraints and needs; purposes of different check structures; water level vs. flow rate control; minimizing tailender problem while still achieving good service; how to get more water through various structures; introduction to SCADA; interaction between canals and turnouts.
This course was designed to introduce SCADA for those new to the field, starting with electric and electronic fundamentals. This course is a recommended as a precursor to the proceeding class, Advanced SCADA for Technicians, regardless of experience level. Learn about and practice:
- Wiring basic monitoring and control circuits
- Troubleshooting with a multi-meter
- AC and DC power sources and overload protection
- Off-grid solar and battery systems
- Reading wiring diagrams and manufacturer data sheets
- Sensor wiring
Advanced SCADA for Technicians TBA
This course provides an overview of typical SCADA technicians roles and responsibilities. Topics/Labs include:
- Sensor overview
- Sensor calibration
- Introduction to Programmable Logic Controller programming with Structured Text
- Introduction to touchscreen configuration
- Radio path testing
- Introduction to Human-Machine-Interface (HMI)
Pumps I (Winter) TBA
Types of rotating pumps, pump terms, pump curves, pumps in series and parallel, system curves, TDH computations for vertical and booster pumps, efficiency, WHP, BHP, input HP, pump selection from catalogs, trimming impellers, answers to common pump questions. This class is also offered every summer as part of our Designer/Manager series. Click here for more information.
Pumps II (Winter) Winter 2022
Net positive suction head, submersible pumps, well screens, shaft losses, shaft sizing, maintenance and troubleshooting, variable frequency drive (VFD) basics, retrofitting VFDs on existing motors, affinity laws for variable speed operation, how to estimate savings from VFDs, hands-on VFD application, power factor correction, inlet and sump design. This class is also offered every summer as part of our Designer/Manager series. Click here for more information.
Two ways to register!
Print out and mail or fax the registration form.
ITRC does not accept credit card payments via fax; to pay using a credit card, please register online or call (805) 756-2434